Monday, March 10, 2014

Shiva Ratri Shenanigans


Warning: Illicit drugs are referenced in this blog post. The following should not be read by anyone who is referred to as “Grandma” or “Pop.” Proceed at your own risk and please do not judge me.

Last Thursday, we observed Shiva Ratri, a Hindi holiday in which traditional followers of the faith celebrate the birthday of Shiva, the god of creation and destruction, by offering special prayers and fasting. Interestingly enough, it is also the only day where marijuana is legal in Nepal. So we celebrated accordingly…

It was pouring rain in the morning but our bus driver was also partaking in Shiva Ratri activities, so volunteers and some older kids walked in the miserable weather for an hour to the temple. So much for dressing nice for Lord Shiva, my back and legs were covered in mud and I ripped my curta (Nepali dress) on the way! Thankfully, the rain stopped and the sun came out right as we arrived. The road leading to the temple was filled with people selling juice, pakodas, and chaat – all with a pleasant green hue to it. What exactly was the wonderful green stuff inside? Bhang. Yes, as hilarious as it sounds, the word for weed in Nepal is the same as the word for a weed-smoking device in America.

bhang juice & pakodas outside the temple

We all took off our shoes before entering the temple. The ground was wet and muddy from the rain but it felt absolutely amazing in between my toes! I approached the temple and immediately people pointed at me and whispered. I was with 8 other white people, so I knew the color of my skin wasn’t causing the ruckus. Then I was pushed to the front of the line and quickly realized why everyone was staring at me.  Sitting in the center of the altar was a holy Nepali man with long, beautiful, dark dreadlocks – he and I were equally intrigued by each other’s hair styles. I posed with him for a picture, he gave me tika and a blessing and I slipped him a few rupees and marigolds as an offering. (Side note: I googled “Shiva Ratri Nepal” images the night before, and swear this dreaded man was pictured at the top!) We spent the next half an hour wandering around the temple, making offerings, and receiving more tika – it was very peaceful. Before leaving, we were given Prasad (a post-prayer snack used to honor the gods) that, of course, was filled with bhang.


my main dread man

prasad

lady volunteers in the temple


The rest of the day was glorious! On the way home, the volunteers and kids munched on bhang pakodas (fried vegetables) and giggled as some of the children became a little silly from the festivities.  We enjoyed a nice meal of chow mein at an eatery around the corner and slowly and surely started to feel the intended effects of the holiday ourselves. Becky, the mental health fellow and resident baking fellow, made some “special” brownies in honor of Shiva that the volunteers enjoyed on the roof under the sun, staring at the beautiful clouds and incredible mountains. We let the kids join us on the roof in the evening and even though they indulged in the bhang too and it’s completely legal, I blushed and couldn’t stop chuckling when the kids asked if I had eaten too much. Nevertheless, it was one of the most relaxing days I’ve had in a while. I’m so lucky to have been able to enjoy such a hilarious day with amazing people in one of the most stunning places in the world! All hail Shiva. 
view on the walk home

kiddos outside the temple

glorious rooftop view

No comments:

Post a Comment