Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kid Camping Trip in 2071


School has been out for eight days but it feels more like eighty. We’ve done family soccer games, a skills challenge (skills tested: eating a donut off a dangling rope, bobbing for apples, egg on spoon, water balloon toss, cornhole, paper airplane making, etc.), 4 trips to the pool, an innovation competition, TV and movies, lunch outings, and so much more. Yet the kids are constantly saying to me, “I’m boring.” I know they actually mean to say “I am bored,” but it’s still not very fun to be reminded daily that you are not fun and entertaining enough. What’s even worse is there are still two more weeks of vacation and I am running out of ideas and brain cells. How did mom make it through 3 months of summer vacation without losing her mind each year?!

One thing on our vacation bucket list was to go camping. The idea of taking a large group of children who have never camped before into unmarked wilderness territory was a bit daunting, but Krishna Bogati told me it was her birthday wish to celebrate turning 13 on a camping trip, so we had to make it happen.  Equipped with a change of clothes, a blanket, a banana, PB&J, a bowl, a spoon, two packs of ramen noodles, and whatever else could fit in a tiny backpack, the 20 oldest kids and 6 fellows hopped on the school bus and started heading west on Monday morning – the first day of the Nepali new year 2071! Jamie and Luke (sustainability fellows) had been camping west of Surkhet a few weeks ago so they pointed us in the right direction, but I would be lying if I told you I had any idea where we would be sleeping that night. We wound up and down and over and across mountains for about 1hr 45minutes before stopping in front of a tiny shop on top of a mountain. We hiked downhill for about an hour, before the trail spit us out on a pristine little beach on the side of a beautiful, teal-colored river. Some of the older boys had run ahead and when I arrived, Nabin (one of our 13 year olds) was being chased by an old village man with a giant stone in his hand. There was a misunderstanding and the man thought Nabin had thrown his fishing nets in the water, so naturally, he grabbed the nearest rock to put Nabin in his place. A great way to start our trip! We spent the afternoon swimming in the river. The water was freeeeeeezing, like max 55 degrees, just a casual 30 degrees colder than the water I’m used to at Caswell. But I’m very proud of myself, I swam for over an hour with the kids until I couldn’t feel my toes anymore. Soon after, all the kids were climbing trees with knives in hand (yeah, doesn’t sound like the safest thing to allow), cutting down branches to make forts, collecting twigs for fires, and gathering leaves to sleep on. They were naturals! One of our boys, Shahi, was grabbing rocks for the fire pit when a scorpion stung him. We called back to the house and after some googling, were told to give him some ibuprofen and ice the wound. One of the fellows provided the advil and somehow one of our 12 year olds had prepared so well that he had brought a 2-liter bottled filled with ice! The medicine had not quite kicked in yet and tears were streaming down Shahi’s face, when we noticed a Nepali villager floating down the river in a tire with an oar and we called him over to ask about scorpion bites. The man picked up the dead scorpion (which our boys had caught and killed), plucked off the stinger, crushed the rest of the scorpion’s body and smeared the carcass filled with “anti-venom” all over Shahi’s finger. Talk about traditional medicine! A few minutes later, Shahi was completely fine…and I like to think the ibuprofen had nothing to do with it.

By nightfall, there were three forts, two leaf pile beds, and 8 fires built. The fellows cooked ramen noodles over the fire and we were joking about how this would be the first time the kids would eat a meal that didn’t have an excessive amount of salt in it, like the aunties prepare each night. Right then, one of our boys unfolded a piece of newspaper from his pocket, revealing a couple tablespoons of salt and some chilis to add to our dinner! Seriously, best campers ever. As the full moon rose, we did satsang around the fire, danced and sang, and played tag around the beach under the moonlight. The night was super cold, but I woke up around 1am and two of our girls were restarting their fire. I quickly fell back asleep, with a campfire warming my back and little Nepali girls snuggled next to me. It was perfect! 

Just three months ago, I was bundled up in New York City celebrating the American New Year with my best friends. Pizza, high heels, beer, heated apartments….it’s crazy to contrast that trip with how I spent the Nepali New Year. Ringing in 2014 was a lot more cushy than ringing in 2071 in Nepal, but ya know what, I’m not quite sure if cushy is better. This is an experience of a lifetime and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 



panorama

beach nook

so serene
forts


dinner

family being crazy


No comments:

Post a Comment